Header for new artwork blog

The Illustrated World of Nikki Pinder

Email: hello[at]nikkipinder[dot]co[dot]uk -- Artwork Shop: http://www.nightowlsecrets.co.uk

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Illustrator, Artist, Designer and Nightowl based in Cheshire, England.

Monday, June 06, 2011

World Drawing Day

This weekend it was world Drawing Day (Saturday and Sunday). So I decided I'd create a couple of illustrations. On Saturday I drew the illustration below and submitted it to the Drawing Day website so it'll hopefully be selected and published in their 2011 book. Here's the web link: http://www.drawingday.org/gallery/2439.


This illustration is called ‘Tin Can Palace’ and I drew it whilst sitting next to a river where an old floating hotel used to be. It was recently demolished so now all that's left are the large steel vertical poles which the hotel used to be attached to, some scraps of wood and building pieces in the water, sections of metal fence poles on the edge of the path and lots of plants where the area has completely grown over.

I took the photo below from where I was sitting whilst drawing the picture:



The idea for the drawing was inspired by the rubbish left dotted around in the water. I imagined that a huge creature had eaten the building in order to make a space for itself to create it's own palace made from old tin cans and scraps of roof and wood. I also had in mind that it could be a palace for the queen of the river so I included details such as a crown, jewels, telescope eyes which are for watching over the river inhabitants, fish hook eye brows, a fish fin turret and a sun shade umbrella made from empty crisp packets.


I created another illustration on the Sunday called 'Mr Moostashio' (pictured above) and I also submitted this for inclusion into the book. The idea behind this drawing is a mad hatter called Mr Moostashio who carries all his belongings in his giant moustache. He has a pet cat called Eris who loves Catnip and dancing, a giant unhappy pocket watch as he can never keep track of the time, a miniature globe as he loves travelling and going on adventures, lots of cake and tea as he loves going to tea shops, soup and pizza as he likes those too, some other items and he also seems to attract lots of birds who like flying around him singing which he doesn't mind as he loves the sound of music.

Here's the web link to the illustration: http://www.drawingday.org/gallery/2614. Mr Moostashio is a character I've been developing for a couple of years and I've recently been including him into short stories: http://www.creaturemag.com/the-shadow-catcher-pt4-by-nikki-pinder and on to hand-painted t-shirt designs:









4 Comments:

Blogger Amy Pospiech said...

Awesome stuff! I just finished my drawing today, glad I didn't see yours first or I'd be discouraged!

June 08, 2011 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Jim said...

That was fantastic! I could say that it is really remarkable and very inspiring. I always like to draw but I ended up a failure. I really don't know how to draw except for a circles and stars. :D

January 16, 2012 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I really admire that piece of art. Making that cool shirt design is really impressive.

January 23, 2012 9:38 PM  
Blogger Nikki Pinder said...

Thanks!

Amy - I hope you managed to get your drawing into the book too!

Jim - You can never be a failure by drawing! All drawing you ever do is enabling you to develop your own technique and improve your mark making skills and style, so just keep drawing and experimenting :-)

Sarah - It was so much fun painting the t-shirts! I want to turn the Mr.Moostashio character into a story book.

January 24, 2012 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home