Header for new artwork blog

The Illustrated World of Nikki Pinder

Email: hello[at]nikkipinder[dot]co[dot]uk -- Artwork Shop: http://www.nightowlsecrets.co.uk

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Illustrator, Artist, Designer and Nightowl based in Cheshire, England.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Dream Sculpture



Last Sunday I went to see the 'Dream' sculpture in St Helens, Merseyside.


I thought it was pretty cool as it kind of looked like a giant was sitting in the trees as you approached it...



...and I really liked how it had an optical illusion effect in the way it appeared slightly warped...



It also reminded me of the giant head people in the beginning of the film 'The NeverEnding Story'.



I was impressed and it was inspiring to see, but I was quite disappointed that there was a huge tall fence all around it with a man in a white van and guard dog so you couldn't walk right up to it and photograph it up close...


I guess that's to look after it until a more attractive form of protection is put in place, as there was unfortunately some graffiti on the back of it's neck and some big chunks chipped out of it. If they feel a permanent fence is necessary I think it'd look cool if a decorative Elizabethan styled neck collar (fence) was created to place around it...


Then it would at least look like part of the sculpture and not make you feel as if you shouldn't be there. Also, it might look quite surreal as if it's a giant head with the earth as it's body. Something like these perhaps:






I would like to see it again though, in Summer when the light is really good for photographing it, and hopefully when there's no fence around it anymore. Here's some info about the Dream: Dream (sculpture)

I've found a few photos of it online I think are great, especially the one with the snow which for some reason also reminds me of a Beatles album cover:



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is ace! how do I not know about it! Why haven't I been!?
I think u shud tell me when ur going on these adventures, I'd well come check it out. And the collar idea is cool. I think a big, deep circular trench with a glimpse of some shoulders would be good too, but maybe no that practical...
-scott-

May 12, 2011 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home