Header for new artwork blog

The Illustrated World of Nikki Pinder

Email: hello[at]nikkipinder[dot]co[dot]uk -- Artwork Shop: http://www.nightowlsecrets.co.uk

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Illustrator, Artist, Designer and Nightowl based in Cheshire, England.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Latitude Festival Postcards



I went to Latitude Festival two weeks ago and whilst there I decided to draw a postcard each day taking inspiration from the bands I saw and everything which inspired me. The festival began on Thursday 15th July and ended on Monday 19th July 2010.





This mini project evolved from an ongoing project I started two months ago which I've called the 'Pinder Postcard Project'. To summarise, I draw, collage or paint onto a blank postcard and when it's complete I display it online and give it away free to the first person who says they would like it. The artwork on the postcards varies and I generally create an image based on what I have experienced during that time and what or who have inspired me. Once it's complete and I've numbered and signed it, I then post it to the recipient who can be anywhere in the world, as I've opened this opportunity up to everyone who sees and enjoys my work. Once the postcard is received many people have taken a photograph of the postcard in a favourite place where they live and then have sent a copy to me to display online. If you'd like to read more about this project please click this link: Pinder Postcards

Postcard 23 - All The World's A Dream...

I started to draw the first postcard on the train platform in my tiny town whilst I was waiting for the train to arrive.


It was a very lovely sunny and warm morning and as I needed to catch the 9.30 train from Chester to London I needed to be at my home town station by 7.12 am. I managed to arrive with plenty of time to spare, but I was feeling quite tired as the night before I hadn't managed to get any sleep with having lots of work to complete, so I started to draw the first thing which came into my mind.

I continued to draw this picture on and off between small naps for the entire eight hour journey until I finally arrived at Henham Park in Southwold where the festival was taking place. The finished drawing is a subconscious dreamscape adventure from the North of England 'N' right down to London and back up and East to Latitude 'L' in Southwold, Suffolk.



I decided to call this piece 'All The World's A Dream' because I felt like I was being transported to a dream in a dream like state of mind. I'll be sending this postcard to a lady called Amanda Mae Steele who lives in London. Her job seems really cool as she's a Cabaret and Burlesque performer, a promoter and also a DJ. This is her website if you'd like to check it out: www.amandamaesteele.com

Below are a couple of pictures of the drawing on a trilby hat I bought at the festival:





Postcard 24
- Cosmic Love...



I drew this postcard on Friday 16th July after watching the amazing performance by Florence + The Machine. I've called this piece 'Cosmic Love' because it was my favourite song which they performed, I've literally never experienced so much adoration from a crowd towards the performer, and because I absolutely love the lyrics:

"And in the dark, I can hear your heartbeat
I tried to find the sound
But then it stopped, and I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became"

Here are a few photos I took of Florence + The Machine performing on the Obelisk stage:













I'm sending this postcard to a lady who lives in San Jose, California, USA.

Postcard 25 - Scarlet Fields...



I drew this postcard on Saturday 17th July after watching the band 'The Horrors'. I've called this piece 'Scarlet Fields' because it's one of my favourite songs from their second album. I can vividly remember them performing this song in the darkness with just a sea of red light coming from the centre of the stage, and the band members looking like black silhouetted spider-like figures.

Here's a couple of photos I took of them during their performance in The Word Arena tent:











I'm sending this postcard to a lady who lives in Leonardtown, Maryland, USA.

Postcard 26
- The Cave & The Open Sea...



I drew this postcard on Sunday 18th July after watching some of my favourite bands, as for me it was the best day musically. The main inspiration for the drawing came from watching bands including Midlake, The Temper Trap, Mumford & Sons and Jónsi. It was a very hot sunny day and people were in very high spirits so it felt as if the stage was a giant gramophone amplifier and the people in the crowd were the sea being moved by the music. I decided to title the drawing 'The Cave & The Open Sea' making reference to Mumford & Sons lyrics.

Here's a couple of photos I took of Mumford & Sons and Midlake performing on the Obelisk stage:









I'm sending this postcard to a lovely gentleman called Jonathan Macmillan who lives in Edinburgh, Scotland. He's in a band and this is what he wrote to me in the email he sent containing his address:

"Thanks so much, I love your work. It has inspired a few songs I've written with my band and has saved others from being scrapped!"

Postcard 27 - I Remember...



I drew this postcard on Monday 19th July on the train journey home from the festival when I was reflecting on the events of the weekend. I called the drawing 'I Remember' after my favourite Yeasayer song. I haven't given this postcard to anyone yet so I'll be giving it away online sometime over the next few days.

These are the five finished postcards:







To read more about this project click this link: Pinder Postcards

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jessica MacGregor said...

i think all of these are amazing, i am now going to base you and these postcards on my GCSE final piece so thank you. xx

September 05, 2010 10:55 AM  
Blogger Nikki Pinder said...

Thanks Jessica! :) x

September 06, 2010 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home